Smart features offer families extra flexibility, time and customization during mealtime
LAS VEGAS, Jan. 8, 2018 – Care is keeping it simple. The Whirlpool® Smart Over the Range Microwave with Scan-to-Cook Technology includes features to help families better customize and multi-task during meal preparation. With Scan-to-Cook technology, families can eliminate the guesswork and get the right frozen food settings every time. The technology allows families to simply scan thousands of frozen food barcodes with a smartphone or tablet and send recommended cooking instructions straight to the microwave. Coming in Spring 2018, consumers will be able to create memorable meals with ease in True Convection Bake mode by connecting the smart microwave to the Yummly recipe app. Families can also make quicker decisions with a touchscreen featuring customized settings based on each family’s unique routine.
“Between piano lessons, soccer practice and homework help, it can be hard to focus on getting dinner on the table,” said Jennifer Tayebi, communications brand manager, Whirlpool brand. “Our new smart microwave includes features to help families better multi-task and even avoid cooking mishaps.”
Whirlpool® Smart Over the Range Microwave features include:
- Smarter Meal Preparation with Yummly: Coming in Spring 2018, when cooking in True Convection Bake Mode, families will be able to control the smart microwave through the Yummly recipe app to integrate recipes and cooking functionality into one platform. Just select from a database of curated recipes and send the cooking instructions straight to the appliance. The instructions include everything from temperature adjustments to power instructions to timing and the Yummly functionality within the app will also take users through a step-by-step process – including images and video – to guide consumers on exactly how to prepare that item.
- Voice Control: Sync the appliance with the Google Assistant or Amazon Echo or Echo Dot to control the appliance with simple voice commands.
- Scan-to-Cook: Scan-to-Cook technology will help ensure the right settings every time families prepare a frozen food meal. Just scan the UPC barcode on select frozen food packages in the Whirlpool® mobile app and the Scan-to-Cook technology will send the right directions, temperature and cooking time settings straight to the appliance. To get the lasagna a little crispier next time, customize the Scan-to-Cook settings to remember specific preferences.
- Touchscreen: The smart microwave’s touchscreen learns, adapts and suggests customized presets based on a family’s routines. The dynamic system tracks preferences to learn family favorites – from what families cook, when they cook and how they cook. Hands dirty from dinner prep and don’t want to spread the mess? When the smart microwave is in a cooking mode, the proximity sensor adjusts the size of the display depending on if the family member is nearby or far away.
- Multi-Step Cooking: Families can also use smartphones or tablets to send multiple cooking instructions to the microwave all at once. The cook power or temperature automatically adjusts based on the recipe for great results without having to monitor meals from the kitchen.
- Remote Start: Start dinner on the go by using a smartphone or tablet to remotely turn on the microwave.
The Whirlpool® Smart Over the Range Microwave with Scan-to-Cook Technology will be available in three finishes: Fingerprint Resistant Stainless Steel, Fingerprint Resistant Black Stainless Steel and Fingerprint Resistant Sunset Bronze, starting in Spring 2018.
From January 9-12, CES® attendees can get up close to all Whirlpool brand innovations at booth #41725 in the Smart Home section, located at the Sands Expo Center.
For more information on the company’s care-centric product innovations and to join the conversation, visit ces.whirlpool.com and follow #CareSmarter.
 Not all frozen foods included; Requires WiFi and account creation. App features and functionality subject to change. Subject to Terms of Service available at: www.whirlpool.com/connect. Data rates may apply.
 Appliance must be set to remote enable. WiFi & App required. Features subject to change. For details and privacy statement, visit whirlpool.com/connect.
About Whirlpool Brand
For more than one hundred years, Whirlpool brand has been inspired by how people care for their families. Whirlpool brand is designing home appliances that are focused on improving how families give and get the care they need with the latest technologies and innovations – whether that means most flexible refrigerator storage for all types of family needs, induction technology for efficient cooking and easier cleaning, or laundry pairs that sense and adapt to clothes with the latest in connected technologies. Whirlpool brand is part of Whirlpool Corporation, the world’s leading manufacturer and marketer of major home appliances. Whirlpool Corporation is also one of Habitat for Humanity’s largest corporate partners for over 15 dedicated years, donating a refrigerator and range to every new Habitat for Humanity home built in North America. For more information on Whirlpool, please visit whirlpool.com/everydaycare or find us on Facebook at facebook.com/whirlpoolusa or Twitter at @WhirlpoolUSA.