Whirlpool Corporation’s Approach to Environment, Health and Safety
Whirlpool Corporation is committed to adopting responsible business activities that are consistent with our reputation for integrity and quality. Accordingly, we are committed to protecting the health and safety of our employees, customers and other stakeholders and to minimizing the environmental impact during the design, manufacture, distribution, use and disposal of our products.
Whirlpool Corporation practices environmental, health and safety responsibility by:
- Making environmental, health and safety considerations a priority in business planning and decision-making processes
- Providing a healthy and safe workplace for our employees, visitors, and contractors
- Managing all aspects of our business to effectively and efficiently utilize natural resources; to avoid depletion where it is technically and economically feasible
- Developing and effectively utilizing Whirlpool Corporation’s EHS Global Standards, including management systems and relevant performance measures, to guide our actions and assure consistency worldwide
- Complying with the spirit and intent of all applicable EHS regulatory requirements and Whirlpool Corporation’s EHS Global Standards, as well as ensuring compliance through regular risk assessments
- Establishing goals, targets, and objectives in the pursuit of continual improvement of our EHS performance in all activities, including the development of new products and processes
- Conducting worldwide employee training related to the applicable regulatory requirements and EHS Global Standards, communicating our EHS expectations, and managing Whirlpool’s operations to meet such requirements and standards
- Communicating with our customers, employees, and other stakeholders to ensure alignment of the company’s EHS policies and performance with the needs and expectations of those stakeholders
- Proactively participating in the creation of equitable and effective EHS laws and regulations consistent with our stakeholders’ expectations
The approach and corporate commitment to environmental, health and safety responsibility are applicable to all Whirlpool Corporation wholly-owned and majority-owned operations around the world. Every Whirlpool Corporation employee is responsible for understanding and adhering to the Environment, Health and Safety (EHS) Policy. The senior manager in charge of each business unit, product team or company facility has ultimate responsibility for ensuring compliance within his or her area of influence. Leaders throughout the company are responsible for understanding and communicating the policy and for facilitating action consistent with the policy.
An internal Global EHS Council is responsible for supporting the company's global efforts to comply with EHS Policy requirements. The Council creates, updates and continuously improves the policy and the mechanisms and processes that enable compliance. The Council also has responsibility for leading the management of environmental issues, identifying and recommending measures to reduce or eliminate EHS risk and assisting in the execution of actions to achieve compliance with the policy.