Five-Year Selected Financial Data
(Millions of dollars, except share and employee data)
|Depreciation and amortization||668|
|Earnings (loss) before income taxes and other items||1,031|
|Net earnings available to Whirlpool||783|
|Consolidated Financial Position|
|Accounts receivable, inventories and accounts payable, net||746|
|Whirlpool stockholders’ equity||4,743|
|Per Share Data|
|Basic net earnings available to Whirlpool||$9.95|
|Diluted net earnings available to Whirlpool||9.83|
|Closing Stock Price—NYSE||146.87|
|Operating profit margin||6.2%|
|Return on average Whirlpool stockholders’ equity(5)||16.3%|
|Return on average total assets(6)||4.0%|
|Current assets to current liabilities||0.9|
|Total debt as a percent of invested capital(7)||41.3%|
|Price earnings ratio(8)||14.9|
|Common shares outstanding (in thousands):|
|Average number—on a diluted basis||79,667|
|Year-end common shares outstanding||77,221|
|Year-end number of stockholders||10,663|
|Year-end number of employees||97,000|
|Five-year annualized total return to stockholders(9)||13.0%|
(1) Total debt includes notes payable and current and long-term debt.
(2) Total Whirlpool stockholders’ equity divided by average number of shares on a diluted basis.
(3) Earnings (loss) before income taxes, as a percent of net sales.
(4) Net earnings available to Whirlpool, as a percent of net sales.
(5) Net earnings available to Whirlpool, divided by average Whirlpool stockholders’ equity.
(6) Net earnings available to Whirlpool, divided by average total assets.
(7) Total debt divided by total debt and total stockholders’ equity.
(8) Closing stock price divided by diluted net earnings available to Whirlpool.
(9) Stock appreciation plus reinvested dividends, divided by share price at the beginning of the period.