Human Rights Policy
We support human rights in everything we do.
Updated June 17, 2022
At Whirlpool Corporation, we support human rights in everything we do, and our business practices reflect our commitment to ensure every person who works for us throughout all of our global operations does so of their own free will, in a safe and healthy environment. Whirlpool supports the human rights of everyone we work with and expects our global business partners to do the same.
Whirlpool Corp.’s commitment to human rights is based on the United Nations Global Compact principles, which are derived, in pertinent part, from the Universal Declaration on Human Rights and the International Labour Organization’s Declaration on Fundamental Principles and Rights at Work. Our commitment to human rights is also woven throughout Our Integrity Manual, Supplier Code of Conduct, and various other employee policies and procedures.
As part of our commitment to human rights, Whirlpool complies with all applicable laws in the countries and jurisdictions in which we operate. When Our Integrity Manual requires a higher standard, we will follow that standard.
The following principles are foundational to Whirlpool Corp.’s commitment to human rights.
- Inclusion & Diversity is one of Whirlpool Corporation’s Enduring Values, and we are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive working environment that values diversity and protects the right of each employee to fair and equitable treatment.
- We treat employees equally and make employment decisions on the principles of equal opportunity, merit, skill, and job-related performance without regard to race or ethnicity, religion, sex, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental disability and veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
- We strive to provide all employees with an environment of mutual respect that is free from any form of harassment and discrimination.
- We support diversity and wage parity.
- We respect the rights of our employees to associate with whom they choose and the right of employees to join or not join an independent trade union.
- We oppose discrimination, any type of slavery, involuntary or forced labor, and child labor, and ensure we have controls and protections to avoid them.
- We are committed to providing a safe and healthy workplace to all of our employees and visitors worldwide where everyone can perform at their best.
- All of our suppliers are required to abide by Whirlpool Corp.’s Supplier Code of Conduct, which reflects our fundamental expectations of doing business with partners who are committed to ethical standards and business practices, including those outlined above.
- All of our employees are expected to adhere to Our Integrity Manual, which translates our integrity into action and empowers employees to lead with integrity.
Commitments outlined in these principles are supported by monitoring, due diligence, and reporting processes that assure our management that Whirlpool is respecting and promoting human rights across our company.
Whirlpool encourages our employees and others to raise concerns related to human rights and provides numerous channels to raise such concerns including management, a confidential Integrity Line, the Legal , Internal Audit, and Human Resources organizations. Our Integrity Line allows employees, suppliers and others to make reports anonymously at any time via telephone or a dedicated website in more than 10 languages. Whirlpool Corp.’s Integrity Line can be accessed here.
Whirlpool has a zero-tolerance policy for retaliation against anyone who raises in good faith concerns about human rights or other issues.