The theme for Earth Day this year is “Invest in our planet,” and that is exactly what Whirlpool Corp. is doing, with investments in its company and the planet as part of its commitment to sustainable operations. This includes investments in renewable energy, manufacturing plant retrofits, and on-going energy, water, and waste reduction projects.
With recent investments, Whirlpool Corp.:
- Has driven a 27 percent reduction of greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions globally for all Scope 1 and Scope 2 emissions compared to a 2016 baseline, accelerating the company’s progress to meet its Net-Zero target by 2030.
- Achieved a 14 percent Scope 3 Category 11 emissions reduction, in line with its target reduction of 20 percent by 2030, compared to 2016 levels.
- Issued its first Sustainability Bond, with the proceeds allocated to drive positive environmental and social impacts.
- Has achieved a 34 percent reduction in water consumption in its operations globally over the last five years.
- Embarked on a pilot initiative in Europe that led to the removal of expanded polystyrene (EPS) packaging from cooking products and dishwashers sold to one of its large retail customers.
- Celebrated the groundbreaking of a 340 Megawatt wind farm in Callahan County, Texas. This Virtual Power Purchase Agreement (VPPA) features 68 state-of-the-art wind turbines generating enough clean electricity with the potential to power more than 87,000 households each year.
- Made investments in its Brazil operations that capture rainwater for use in the plants, and reuse treated water with a recirculation index score of 98 percent.
- Achieved Gold level Zero Waste to Landfill at 90 percent of its plants.